TIMS & ACAP and your private trekking

For the Annapurna 100, we head into the Annapurna Conservation Area and this requires a permit known as the ACAP permit. Despite the fact most of us will enter for one day only, this still applies.

It’s for a good cause however, and funds all manner of projects in this region.



Annapurna Conservation Area Permit (ACAP)

Most trekking trails in the Annapurna region, including the world-famous Annapurna Base Camp circuit, are inside the Annapurna Conservation Area. Foreigners are required to obtain an entry permit from the Annapurna Conservation Area Project (ACAP) as well as a TIMS card to trek in the Annapurna region.

Permits and fees for the Annapurna Region:

  1. ACAP permit fee for foreigners: 3,000 NPR (Approx. US $27)
  2. ACAP entry permit fee for SAARC nationals: 200 NPR (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.)
  3. TIMS permit: 1,000 NPR (Approx. US $10) with a trekking company, and double this (~$20) for private trekkers.

Where to get the permit for Annapurna area trekking

If you book with a trekking agency they will arrange these for you. You just need to supply your passport details and a passport photo. Otherwise, to get them yourself:

Kathmandu: Permits and TIMS cards can be purchased in the Nepal Tourism Board Office on Pradarshani Marg, Kathmandu, Tel: +977 1 4256909.
Pokhara: Permits can also be purchased in Pokhara at the Nepal Tourism Board Service Centre in Dam-side or at the ACAP entry permit counter in Besisahar, Lamjung. TIMS cards can also be purchased from the TAAN Lakeside office in Santi Patan, Pokhara.